Maple Lawn is a nineteenth-century Victorian house and grounds originally owned by one of Marin County’s leading families. The residence has hosted social and civic soirées for more than a century. In addition to the mansion house, the grounds provide an historic carriage house, outbuildings, workers cottages, a swimming pool, a picnic area, and the beautiful outdoor Magnolia Terrace.
Louise and her two brothers, Seth and John, frolicked in the 10+ acres, enjoying the large home and riding ponies around San Rafael.
Louise Boyd inherited the property at a young age. She spent much of the family fortune on Arctic expeditions, socializing, and her many philanthropic causes. She later came home to San Rafael and became involved in social and civic activities. She kept Maple Lawn until she could no longer maintain the property. She sold the estate to the San Rafael Elks Lodge in 1964.
Louise Boyd was considered one of Marin's elite socialites right up until the late 1950s. She entertained and hosted many concerts during her time at Maple Lawn. Since then, the Elks have continued to sponsor a series of concerts benefiting local charities. Magnolia Terrace is a perfect place to picnic, listen to some tunes, and hear samples of talented musicians from the Bay Area.
This original gardener's shed was built in the late 1800's. During Louise's childhood her parents employed 3 full time gardeners to maintain the 10+ acres of property.
An 1860's Carriage House is still in use by groups and small gatherings.
Also on the ground is a swimming pool. Built by Louise Boyd for the hot summer months in San Rafael, the location on the hillside provides unobstructed views of Mt Tam. The outdoor, year round heated pool is just one of the benefits Elk members enjoy at the Lodge. The water is supplied by an on-site spring and well, just one of many sustainable aspects of the property.
Maple Lawn Estate is set among 11 acres of hillside and redwood trees. The much-loved luxurious mansion built by Louise Arner Boyd’s uncle and grandfather was later renovated by Louise herself. Louise Boyd lived here until the early 1960s when she sold it to the Elks and while many things have changed here, the bones of the building and many key elements remain the same. It is privately owned but it is well worth asking an Elk member who would consent to showing you around the place.